Home, Family, Cooking, and Education

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Mustard Pickles


This is a recipe of my husbands grandmother. He grew up eating them. He loves them. I have to say I had never tried them until I meet my husband. I don't know that I can really say I loved the pickles when I first tried them, but I have grown to like them. They are kind of an acquired taste and after that are kind of addicting. And if it is your first time ever trying a mustard pickle go for the smallest ones. (Less potent) My kids call them the hot pickles. (not that they are spicy) I was going to post a picture of them in the container they are store but it doesn't look very appealing, so you will have to try them yourselves.
The pickles are stored and mixed in a crock. If you don't own a crock (they can be quite expensive) don't go out and buy one. A good substitute we have found that we actually used this year was a water cooler. Kinda different but it worked.

Crock Mustard Pickles

1 gallon Vinegar
1 cup. Salt (pickling)
1 cup. Sugar
1 pkg. 3oz Pickling Spice 1 lb. Mustard (Dry)


Mix 4 dry ingredients. Add a little vinegar and mix. Then add remaining vinegar and add cucumbers. Makes enough to cover 1/2 crock full of cucumbers.
Print Friendly and PDF

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Whoa, those sound interesting. I might have to let my husband (who is a pickle freak) try them first!

Abby said...

I definitely need to make these. My grandfather spent a good portion of his life trying to perfect the mustard pickle, hastily scratching down different measurements he tried. He gathered recipes for 'mustard pickles' from anyone he knew. Luckily, we have saved them all. Sadly though, we have yet to try any!

Abby said...

Also, my grandfather always threw in some cauliflower, carrots, and peppers with his.

Online Cooking Classes

Online Cooking Classes
Click here for more information