Home, Family, Cooking, and Education

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Classic Pancakes "I-Hop Friendly"



Good Morning! If you are a classic pancake fan and go to places like I-Hop to get them, then look no further. This recipe is not only fast and easy, it is perfect for pancake lovers alike. I even like to freeze them to toast later (if there are any left).

The story behind the recipe starts with a church cookbook. Then I happened upon it and made a few alterations with ingredient amounts and even made a dairy free version. The original recipe was submitted under the name I-Hop Pancakes but I think of them as a simple pancake recipe. I honestly have never tried I-Hop pancakes, so these are as close as I get. I originally made them for some friends that we had over for the weekend and both of us thought the same thing when we tried them; restaurant perfection! I am sure there are many copy-cat recipes out there for I-Hop pancakes, but I can personally say I have tried these and they are light and fluffy with just the right amount of sweetness. These are the thing I look for in a classic pancake. I hope you enjoy them!

Classic Pancakes
(AKA I-Hop Pancakes)

Ingredients:
1 Egg
1/4 cup of Sugar
1 teaspoon of Baking Soda
Pinch of salt
1 1/4 cup of All Purpose Flour
1 1/4 cup of Buttermilk or sour milk or club soda*
2 teaspoons of Baking Powder
1/4 cup of cooking oil


Directions:


In the original recipe, it says to mix all ingredients together. But, I like to separate my liquids from dry ingredients (mixing both individually) and then incorporate the dry into the liquid. This prevents over mixing and help your batter stay nice and light.
 
 
*If you dont have buttermilk, make sour milk by adding 1 1/4 Tablespoon of lemon juice (or vinegar) to 1 1/4 cup of regular milk. Let it stand for 5 minutes. You can even omit the buttermilk and use club soda too. This would be the case if you are out of milk, if you have a milk allergy, or just want an extra fluffy pancake.
 
If you like a thinner batter, I recommend club soda for this as well. A long time ago, I read an article about chefs using club soda in their pancakes and I have done it ever since. It makes a big difference on the texture of the pancake and I have never had a heavy pancake because of this. If you don't have club soda, then add a little more buttermilk or even regular milk until desired consistency.
 


Cook on a pre-heated griddle or non-stick pan. You should not have to use cooking spray or oil to the pan (unless you have a really old pan or griddle, using stainless steel, or you like your pancakes more fried). Pancakes should be cooked on a heat setting set at 375 degrees for the griddle.

 
When I make these, I like to make a bunch and then put them in the warm oven so they are hot and ready for everyone.  
Print Friendly and PDF

2 comments:

Michael said...

I love buttermilk pancakes! They add such a richness to the pancake. I've also seen them down with sour cream to get the same effect. Thanks for posting the recipe!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recipe. Turned out fabulous. The thing I do with any pancake recipe is separate the egg whites, whip them into a meringue and fold in the batter at the end.

Online Cooking Classes

Online Cooking Classes
Click here for more information