Home, Family, Cooking, and Education

Thursday, July 9, 2009

Having Fun with Sugar Cookies

For more on the Blue Cattle Truck Trading Company go to: http://www.mexicanvanilla.com/


Today, with my two year old daughter, I made some fabulous sugar cookies to celebrate National Sugar Cookie Day. I don't really think about cookies during the summer but, I believe that it is still a fun dessert to make during this time and not just during the winter months. We certainly had fun and I let her do as much as possible with these. I only put pictures of mine as I regret she was too distracted with the taste of icing to finish decorating hers. Either way, she was a great helper and it was a perfect time to bond in the kitchen. For this week's highlight "Chef's library" I choose a great sugar cookie recipe from the Blue Cattle Truck Company Trading Company. Their business is out of Spingville, UT and they are known for selling bulk Mexican Vanilla. I picked up a copy of their recipe book while on a company retreat at Bear Lake in 2005 and have been using it over and over again.





First Bowl Ingredients:
2 1/4 cups sugar
1 cup butter (softened)
3 Eggs
3 T. Milk (or I use cream)
1 1/2 tsp. Mexican Vanilla (or regular)
Mix sugar, butter, eggs, milk, and vanilla.

Second Bowl Ingredients:
4 7/8 cups of Flour
3 3/4 teaspoon of Baking Powder
3/4 teaspoon of Salt
Mix Dry ingredients together and add to sugar mixture.

It all comes together perfectly.

I don't even roll out the dough, I just roll it into a large ball and smash it down with the palm of my hand. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 400 degrees for 5-8 minutes on a greased cookie sheet (up to 10 min for large cookies).

Decorate as you like. Here is the recipe for their Frosting:
1/2 cup Butter 1/2 cup shortening
1 tsp Mexican Vanilla
1/8 tsp. Salt
4 cups powdered sugar
add a few tsp of milk if needed to make a good consistency.
Beat until smooth.
*

What Kind of Cookie Do You Think Constitutes as a Summer Cookie?

Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Online Cooking Classes

Online Cooking Classes
Click here for more information