Home, Family, Cooking, and Education

Monday, October 19, 2009

Curry Chicken Pot Pie

I love to watch "Good Eats" with Alton Brown on the Food Network. One day he made this curry chicken pot pie that I just had to try. I think it's just really stinkin' good and perfect for this fall weather! Oh, and don't be scared off by the curry. It just adds a little hint of flavor.

You don't have to do this, but I enjoyed using cookie cutters to make shapes in the crust.
Ingredients
4 cups frozen vegetable mix, peas, carrots
1 to 2 tablespoons canola oil
3 tablespoons butter
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped celery
1 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup milk
3 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon curry powder
2 tablespoons dried parsley
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
2 cups cubed cooked chicken
1 package puff pastry
Directions
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Toss frozen vegetables with canola oil and spread evenly onto a sheet pan. Place into oven and cook until golden brown.
In a saute pan heat 1 tablespoon of butter and sweat the onion and celery. In another saucepan, heat the broth and milk. Add 2 more tablespoons of butter to the celery mix and cook out the water. Add the flour and curry and cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Whisk in the hot milk mixture and cook until thickened. Add the parsley, salt and pepper. Toss the browned vegetables and the chicken. Pour into a shallow baking pan, or a large terra cotta pot base, lined with foil, and top with 6 to 8 circles of puff pastry. Place into the oven and cook until puff pastry has browned and the mixture is hot and bubbly, about 25 minutes
Print Friendly and PDF

7 comments:

Alison said...

I'm going to try this. Won't the kids like pumpkin shaped pastry on top? That'll be fun.

Abby said...

Oh, I definitely think they will love pumpkin shaped pastry. I hope you enjoy it!

Rachael and Family said...

I love the cookie cutter idea. It will be perfect to let the kids help out with the cutouts.

Unknown said...

I love curry anything! I am so excited to try this and to be able to let my daughter help out, makes it even better.

Unknown said...

I will try this one...i have had curry powder in my cubbard for a while and i neve could figure out what to do with it.

Alison said...

One more question-- is puff pastry just like pie dough. Could I make it myself?

Abby said...

You could definitely just use pie dough if you wanted to, Allison. This recipe actually doesn't call for a bottom crust, either, so you could add that with your homemade crust if you want to as well.

Let us know how it turns out, and enjoy!

Online Cooking Classes

Online Cooking Classes
Click here for more information