Home, Family, Cooking, and Education

Sunday, October 4, 2009

Harevest Meatballs

This recipe is exactly what fall is. I can't eat it with out thinking of all the wonderful colors and smells. This recipe is my husbands favorite. It has been since before we were married when my Mom made it for him and a friend before we were even dating. I make it regularly and make it on his birthday as well. This was also a favorite of mine growing up.



Harvest Meatballs


Meatballs:
1 egg, beaten
1/4 cup milk
1 slice of bread crumbled (to make it gluten free just use gluten free bread)
1/4 cup chopped onion or 1/2 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 lb. ground beef

Mix ingredient well in a bowl and form into golf ball size meatballs. ( I do mine a tiny bit smaller). Bake uncovered at 350 F for 30 minutes or in the microwave on HIGH for 13 minutes.

Rice:
In a saucepan combine:
1 1/2 cup rice
3 cup chicken broth or 3 cups of water with 4 boullion cubes
1/4 cup snipped fresh parsley or 2 T dried
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon

Cover and simmer till rice is done

Fruit Mixture/Sauce:
In another saucepan:
Melt 1/2 cup butter or margarine
Add 1/2 cup brown sugar
Add 3-4 cups of desired fruit

Fruit can be apples, nectarines, peaches, grapes (cut in half) or cantelppe. Soft melons do not work well. Cut the fruit into small pieces. (apples, nectarines and peaches cut into quarters and then halves.

Cook fruit mixture for 2 to 3 minutes.

Blend in separate bowl:
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/2 cup cold water
1/2 cup lemon juice

Stir into fruit mixture. Cook until thick and bubbly.

Add meatballs to fruit mixture sauce and serve over rice.

YIELD: 4-5 servings. (I always one and a half the sauce because it is so good and we like more sauce than rice.)
Print Friendly and PDF

2 comments:

Unknown said...

It looks like fall. I can't wait to smell it when I make it. Great post!

Alison said...

Oh my gosh! I made this tonight only I had already thawed chicken breasts so I just marinated them in olive oil, onion powder, garlic and cinnamon and grilled them. Then I did the rest the same. SO GOOD!

Online Cooking Classes

Online Cooking Classes
Click here for more information