Home, Family, Cooking, and Education

Sunday, October 4, 2009

Intro & cinnamon rolls

Hi! My name is Heather and I currently live in MT. My son struggles with Sensory Processing Disorder. Because of this he is sensitive to Wheat, red 40 and yellow 6 (food dyes) so cooking at our house is interesting. Recently we found out that my daughter too is sensitive to wheat. Neither can tolerate even the slightest amount of gluten, though neither test positive for Celiacs. So, we are Gluten free. That means, no wheat, barley, or rye. No barley also means no malt. Also no red or yellow food colorings. I want to share a favorite recipe of mine. It is for cinnamon rolls. first I will share the regular version, then the adapted version.

Stir and let stand. In 15 minutes it should be bubbly and active.
1Cup plus 1 1/2 tsp warm water
1/4 C sugar
1/3 C oil
2T yeast.

With an electric mixer add:
1 egg
1tsp Salt
3 1/2C flour

Roll out into a rectangle 1/2 inch thick
Spread with soft butter
sprinkle with cinnamon/sugar mixture ( 1/3 C sugar and 2-4 tsp cinnamon.)
add nuts, currants, or raisins if desired.
roll up and cut into 1 1/2 inch rolls. (it you get a long piece of unflavored dental floss, slide it underneath the loaf and place it where you want to cut, cross the ends and pull taught it slices through without smashing the loaf.

bake at 375 for 10 minutes. (or until just starting to brown.)

Now for the variation:
Follow the recipe as outlined above. Instead of wheat flour add your favorite GF flour. My favorite for this recipe is Gluten Free Mama's Almond blend flour. Mix into the flour almost, but not quite a teaspoon of xanthan gum.

Also instead of 1 egg, I added 1 egg plus 1 egg white. I beat the egg and extra white in a separate bowl with a fork until frothy.
Print Friendly and PDF

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh, my sister and sister in law will be excited about the gluten free part. I am excited just to try to make some homemade cinnamon rolls. Thanks for sharing! Welcome to the blog.

Amanda said...

Hi Heather!
Yes indeed thanks for sharing this recipe! I look forward to trying it and others from you to come. Also, welcome! ~Amanda

Alison said...

I love cinnamon rolls. I'll have to try this.

Online Cooking Classes

Online Cooking Classes
Click here for more information