Home, Family, Cooking, and Education

Sunday, November 8, 2009

Welsh Rarebit


If feel like I have a whole new apprecitaion for grilled cheese after learning about Welsh cuisine and making this dish. Welsh consider this a traditional food and some whould even say it should be the national dish. Historically, It is said the this creation was put together by those who didn't have a lot of food. However now days, Welsh Rarebit has been enjoyed by people everywhere in the United Kingdom. It is typically made with cheese, bourbon (or beer) and worchestershire sauce. To learn a little more about Welsh cuisine, visit my class notes on my travel blog.


This is my twist on Welsh Rarebit. I didn't have any burbon or beer in my house when I made this
(I actually don't cook with those very much anyway).

Welsh Rarebit

You  will need:
Slices of firm bread (sourdough, french, Italian etc.)
Cheese of any short (I used a mix of grated Chedder and  Monteray, and used Babybel to cream) as much as you want
Worcesterchire Sauce 1-3 tablespoons
Sour cream (my addtion) 1/4-1/2 cup
Chives, salt, and pepper (optional) to spinkle on or after baking

I mixed the sourcream, worcestshire sauce Babybel and half of the grated Monteray and Chedder cheese
 Spread the mixture onto of the bread.
Sprinkle some more grated sheese onto
Add a little chives, salt and pepper as desired

Bake in oven @ 400 degrees for 8-10 minutes to toast.
(I put mine in the toaster oven)

The flavor is so good! You have to try this. My 2 year old daughter loved it.
Print Friendly and PDF

4 comments:

Amanda said...

WOW! YUM! This looks so good!

Aaron and Carolyn said...

Looks really yummy. I will have to try it sometime!

Unknown said...

Looks interesting...can never have too many grilled cheese like sandwiches:)

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Online Cooking Classes

Online Cooking Classes
Click here for more information