Home, Family, Cooking, and Education

Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Gluten Free Sugar cookie

With Christmas season here we are in search of a good sugar cookie. I found this recipe on www.celiac.com so I thought I would give it a try.  Well It calls for a GF flour mix by Better Hagman.  Not a huge fan of hers, as I prefer Carol Fenster.  So I don't have a lot of the stuff she uses.  I figured I would follow the recipe and substitute my own choice of flour.  So I did.  I used 2 cups of Gluten Free Mama's Rice-Almond flour (HUGE fans of her flours, though they are EXPENSIVE!) and 1 cup sorghum flour.  So first, the recipe:

3 cups gluten-free flour mix*
2 eggs
1 teaspoon soda
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 teaspoon almond (or flavoring of your choice)
1 cup gluten-free margarine
Sift flour, soda & cream of tartar - cut in margarine or butter (I find that margarine is easier when rolling out the cookies). Beat eggs, add sugar & almond - mix well. Pour egg mixture into flour mixture and mix well by hand.
Chill at least 15 min (several days is also ok). Roll out to desired thickness on floured surface and cut into shapes. Decorate with colored sugar, or if you prefer, after baked & cooled frost and then sprinkle with colored sugar, etc.
2 cups powdered sugar mixed with some melted butter & lemon juice frosts one batch. Bake at 350F for 9 minutes.
* Bette Hagmans Four Flour Mix (from The Gluten-Free Gourmet Bakes Bread).
Garfava Bean Flour 2/3 part
Sorghum Flour 1/3 part
Cornstarch 1 part
Tapioca Flour 1 part

I refrigerated them for a couple of hours because we got side tracked Here they are ready to go in the oven:


and fresh from the oven.

And the final off the pan result: a pile of crumbs. Very, very tasty crumbs!  Oh they are soooo yummy!


So what happened?  I am asking myself the same thing!  I think I know.  The recipe does not call for xanthan gum.  I read it 3 times just to make sure.  I figured that maybe because of the chilling it didn't need it.  Boy was I wrong.  That's ok though.  Since having to go GF because of my 2 children (and myself, shh... don't tell anyone cuz I love the after the kids go to bed pizza!) We have learned that some things are cooked and tossed.  I do think that maybe because they used bean flour in their recipe that holds things together so you dont need the xanthan?  so most likley tomorrow we will be re-doing this recipe with xanthan gum, because those crumbs really are very good.  I feel bad for my son, he wanted to deliver the cookies to neighbors tonight.  Oh well.
Print Friendly and PDF

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Those do look good Heather. I'm sure all of our Gluten-free mommies really appreciate this recipe. It was so good of you to share!

Rachael and Family said...

I super excited to try this recipe. Thanks for sharing.

Online Cooking Classes

Online Cooking Classes
Click here for more information