Home, Family, Cooking, and Education

Sunday, February 14, 2010

Anything Goes With This One...

I came across this recipe for Alfredo sauce a while back at allrecipes.com. I haven't done anything to alter it; I love it as is. I do have a particular way I like to serve it, though, so I thought I'd post it here. I call it Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner! My kids love saying the name, and they actually like eating the food, too. That's a winner in my book!

I start with the chicken: I make a marinade and usually let it sit for a few hours, but you can let it sit for as little as 20 minutes if you're in a hurry, and it'll still work. I don't have a real recipe for a marinade, but it's really easy to throw one together. All you need is oil, vinegar and spices. For a pound of chicken, I usually use something like 1/2 Cup vegetable oil; 2-3 Tbsp vinegar (I prefer red wine vinegar or Basalmic vinegar); 2-3 Tbsp spices (I love to use Trader Joe's Lemon Pepper--all it is is lemon rind, pepper and salt. Very basic. I've also used things I've thrown together from my spice rack. Anything works!) Mix it all together in a one-gallon zip lock bag (the less dishes the better), add the raw chicken to the bag and let it sit in the fridge. While the chicken is marinating, start cooking your favorite kind of pasta. After the chicken marinates for a while, I usually let George Foreman take over. It would be just as easy to grill it in a skillet, or on a barbecue, whatever is easiest for you. While it's cooking, work on the sauce.
I can't get enough of this Alfredo sauce. It's so easy to make, too!

What you'll need:
1/4 cup butter
1/2  package cream cheese (4 ounces total)
1 teaspoons garlic powder
1 cups milk
3 ounces grated Parmesan cheese
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
What to do: 
Melt butter in a medium, non-stick saucepan over medium heat. Add cream cheese and garlic powder, stirring with wire whisk until smooth. Add milk, a little at a time, whisking to smooth out lumps. Stir in Parmesan and pepper. Remove from heat when sauce reaches desired consistency. Sauce will thicken rapidly, thin with milk if cooked too long. (I cut the recipe in half because it makes a ton, but I left the amount of pepper the same because 1/16 teaspoon hardly seems worth it. So if you make this for a large crowd and double the recipe, still only use 1/8 tsp. pepper)

We serve noodles and sauce separately at our house, but you could easily toss the pasta in with the sauce. Serve the chicken on the side, or cut it up and serve it on top of the pasta and cover with sauce. Basically, do what you like; it's hard to ruin this dinner!



Print Friendly and PDF

2 comments:

Heileson Family said...

I am going to try to make this this week. Looks awesome. I have a recipe like this but instead of milk it calls for whipping cream. Very fattening. This looks like it won't cause a heart attack so fast.

Unknown said...

I am excited to try this!

Online Cooking Classes

Online Cooking Classes
Click here for more information