Home, Family, Cooking, and Education

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Braised Beef with Tortellini


This week we are challenging eveyone to make a special dish that includes noodles. March is hosts National Noodle Month and we at Saltbox House Cooking exchange are happy to celebtrate it. So, whether it is with homemade noodles or not, get those favorite noodle recipes out to share.


Braised Beef with Tortellini

This is a favorite of mine and my husbands everytime we go to the Olive Garden. I found a recipe online that was close to it and i altered it just a bit. I have to admit that this was probably one of the best and most delicious things i have EVER cooked for dinner and i am looking forward to it again soon!

Ingredients:

1-2 lbs Boneless Beef Shortribs(I used bonless beef country style ribs) cut into med size chunks
1 med. yellow onion, chopped
8 oz. red wine (you may substitute beef broth if you like)
1 14.5 oz. can of dice tomatoes(don't drain liquid)
2 c. beef broth
1 bay leaf
1 tbs olive oil
1 tbs. sugar
1 pkg of fresh tortellini (i used Bertolli)

Preperation:

Heat olive oil in a dutch oven or heavy bottomed pan of some sort, sear chunks of meat untill well browned on all sides, remove meat from pan and set aside. Saute onions untill they are translucent, add wine or beef broth to deglaze the pan (be sure to scrape all of the brown bits off the bottom of the pan-thats where the flavor is:) add tomatoes, bay leaf and sugar. Add meat back to the pan and add enough broth to cover meat half way. Cover and bake in 350 oven for 3 hours or untill meat is extremely tender. When meat is done, cook tortellini according to pkg directions, when they are done, add them to the meat and juices, let them sit for just a minute to soak in all of the flavor. Serve and enjoy!
Print Friendly and PDF

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Ok, I've tried this at Olive Garden and I have to say it is one of the best. I'm glad that you are sharing this with us. I am exicted to try it at home now.

Heathie said...

Yum! I love tortellini anything; I'll definitely have to try this.

Unknown said...

Yes, of course! I tried to just now, I hope it worked! Thanks for the invite!

Carole said...

It worked just fine. I put the recipe title in for you. Next week the ingredient is apples.

Online Cooking Classes

Online Cooking Classes
Click here for more information