Home, Family, Cooking, and Education

Friday, September 10, 2010

Blueberry muffins




Blueberry Muffins Recipe
I got this recipe here: http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/blueberry_muffins/

Ingredients
3 cups of all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
10 Tbsp unsalted butter (1 1/4 stick), softened
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cup plain yogurt
1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
1 1/2 cups blueberries
1 Tbsp flour (if using defrosted frozen berries)

Method
1 Adjust the oven rack to the middle-lower part of the oven. Preheat oven to 375°F.

2 Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and set aside.

3 In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar together, beating until fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating until incorporated after each one. Beat in the grated lemon peel.

4 Beat in one third of the dry ingredients until just incorporated. Beat in one third of the yogurt. Beat in a third of the remaining dry ingredients. Beat in a second third of the yogurt. Beat in the remaining dry ingredients and then the remaining yogurt. Again be careful to beat until just incorporated. Do not over beat. Fold in the berries. If you are using frozen berries, defrost them first, drain the excess liquid, and then coat them in a light dusting of flour.

5 Use standard 12-muffin muffin tins. Coat each muffin cup lightly with olive oil or grapeseed oil using a pastry brush, or with a little butter. Or use one of those convenient vegetable oil sprays. Distribute the muffin dough equally among the cups. Bake until muffins are golden brown, about 25 to 30 minutes. Test with a long toothpick (we use a thin bamboo skewer) to make sure the centers of the muffins are done. Set on wire rack to cool for 5 minutes. Remove muffins from the tin and serve slightly warm.

Makes 12-16 muffins.



** Ok, so I had to make a few substitutions because I decided to make these at about midnight the night before our yard sale. Here is what I did and some issues I had.


a. I didn't have 12 oz of plain yogurt so I subbed with what I had... strawberry cheesecake yoplait yogurt.


b. I also didn't have any fresh lemons. But I did have oranges. So in went a tsp of orange zest.


c. After having mixed everything in by thirds, which I thought weird since you have to be careful not to overmix muffins, it seemed very thick and I kinda freaked that I had over done it. I baked them anyway.


d. They barely rose I might add.


e. We used our fresh picked blueberries.


f. DELICIOUS! Not too sweet. Very yummy and moist. These were hands down THE best muffins I've ever had.


Good luck!
Print Friendly and PDF

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What sweet pictures. I just love blueberry muffins period! But, I love fnding new recipes even more. Thanks for sharing, I can't wait to try it out!

Online Cooking Classes

Online Cooking Classes
Click here for more information