Home, Family, Cooking, and Education

Monday, February 13, 2012

Whole Wheat Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies


This is simple recipe of my aunt's that I have changed to make it more hearty and nutritious. The original recipe still produces a delicious cookie, I just love how my changes not only made them really good, but healthier too. I have made these 6 different times to make sure I got it right where I wanted them. They are super soft and store well in a cookie jar or closed container. They also do really well in the freezer and I can now say they are a great cookie to mail to others. This is such a simple recipe that you can change and omit ingredients as you please and still make a great cookie.


 
Whole Wheat Peanut Butter Cookies
(Originated from "Grandma's Chocolate Chip Cookies" recipe from Doris R.)

Recipe written out with original recipe and the changes I have made:


Ingredients:
  • ¾ c. brown sugar  organic brown sugar
  • ¾ c. sugar organic evaporated cane juice (organic sugar)
  • 1 c. shortening   butter (softened)
  • 2 eggs  (room temperature)  
  • 1 tsp. vanilla  
  • 1/2 cup of Adams or equivalent peanut butter (which contains one ingredient, peanuts) 
  • 2 ¾ c. flour whole wheat flour
  • 1 tsp. salt kosher salt
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • ½ c. nuts (optional)  1/4 cup ground Flax seeds (optional)
  • 3 T. hot water  IMPORTANT INGREDIENT!
  • 1 pkg. chocolate chips  1-2 cups mini semi-sweet chocolate chips


Directions:
Cream together sugars, shortening butter, peanut butter, vanilla, and eggs. Add rest of ingredients. Mix together flour, salt, baking soda and ground flax seed (optional) and add into wet mixture. Add hot water and Mix. Stir in chocolate chips. Bake on ungreased cookie sheet for 10 minutes. Roll into small balls or use cookie scoop and bake on a lightly greased cookie sheet for 8-10 minutes at 375 degrees. Place onto a cooling rack immediately.


The end result will usually make a mound like cookie. You can flatten the dough a little bit, but too much with not let them be as soft as they are as a mound. I let the cookies take their own shape.


Even though they might look like they not done, you will be surprised that they are after 8 minutes or so. Always, let them cool on a cooling rack or another surface that is not still hot and they will continue to form and seal in a wonderful cookie texture.

Print Friendly and PDF

2 comments:

Stephani said...

I love the changes you made! I am going to try these next week when I do my baking. Thanks!

Pitcherfam4 said...

Things look super yummy. I love the updated look to the blog. Looks fresh and springy!

Online Cooking Classes

Online Cooking Classes
Click here for more information