Home, Family, Cooking, and Education

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Swedish Meatballs



This recipe is a re-do after I first posted it in January 2009. I love meatballs and I was overdue to make them again. These meatballs were demonstrated to me by an Italian woman I once for in 2001. She learned how when she lived in Stockholm. I had to make up some things of my own because when she showed me it was a bit like: "Ok, I add a bit of this and a bit of that and here you go." I have since then taken her demonstration and formed my own measurements with a few altered ingredients making it as close as I could get. I think I did pretty well. Try them for yourself. Smaklig mÃ¥ltid or enjoy your meal!
Meatballs-
Ingredients:
1 lb of Lean Ground Beef
1 lb of Ground Pork
2 eggs (lightly beaten)
1 small onion diced or equivalent dried onion (Sauted in oil)
1 pint of Heavy Cream
2 cups of bread cubed or crumbs (gluten free bread works great too)
1/2-1 teaspoon of California Garlic powder (or equivalent amount of garlic)
1/2-1 Tablespoon of Ginger
1/2-1 Tablespoon of Nutmeg
1 teaspoon of pepper and salt
Oil for making meatballs and sauteing onions













Toast your own bread crumb in a 400 degree oven for up to 10 minutes or more if needed to dry. You can always leave them out over night to dry. Grind them up into crumbs. (Food processor is a fast way)












Mash beef and pork together in one bowl. In another bowl mix eggs, cream, garlic, ginger, nutmeg, pepper, and salt together. Mix all together with hands and then add sauted onions and bread crumbs, again mix with hands until meat becomes a lighter texture. Roll into small balls and cook on medium to high heat and keep turning them.











After cooking them on medium to high heat, transfer to a slow cooker set on high. Make sure they are mostly cooked (hardly any pink in the middle). You don't have to transfer them to a slow cooker, but since I make so many, I like to transfer them so I can keep cooking more in my pan while keeping the rest hot.

Gravy:
This can be with or without fat drippings. I use lean ground beef so, I hardly get any fat drippings really. Just use any fat drippings you have and add butter accordingly if desired.

Ingredients:
4 cups of water (reserve 1 cup for corn starch and 1 cup for bullion to dissolve in each)
2 beef bullion cubes
Butter if needed (depends on you)
1/2 to 1 cup of cream (any kind)
Ginger, Nutmeg, garlic, Salt and Pepper to taste and smell.
For a great thickener use corn starch, flour, and potato flakes. (Use one, two or all three).
Melt butter and/or fat in saucepan, add water with bullion.


While continuously stirring with whisk pour in starch, sift in flour, and shake in potato flakes. Add up to 4 tablespoons of each or as needed and bring to a boil or until thickened.


Helpful Hint* Pour gravy into a slow cooker and set on low to high while you cook the meatballs. Add meatballs into gravy as you cook them to keep warm and set in gravy.


Serve with Berry Sauce:
I Strongly recommend serving the meatballs with whole berry Cranberry sauce (unless you can find Lingon Berry sauce). The point is, the flavors that come together from the ginger and the sweet yet tartness of the berry makes a delicious combination. I was always told never to serve them with out the berries.

Garlic Mashed potatoes are also a great addition!
Print Friendly and PDF

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yum! I am going to try these one day soon.

Online Cooking Classes

Online Cooking Classes
Click here for more information