Home, Family, Cooking, and Education

Monday, February 23, 2009

Better than Banana Bread


The wintertime seems to bring out the fresh baked bread in my house and that is something that I enjoy filling the air with in my kitchen. This banana Bread I have been using for a while now as it maintains its moister so well. It is so moist that I will make it as a cake also. I use cream cheese frosting when I make this as a cake or I use my cream cheese spread (as shown) for it as a bread or a cake. I combined two recipes to get this banana bread just the way I like it. One is from the Better Homes and Garden Cook Book and the other was given to me from a lady in my church who was known for her bread making abilities. I only hope that one day I can follow in her foot steps.
.
Banana Bread Ingredients:
1 cup Shortening
6 cups of flour
1 cup of sugar
2 1/4 cups of buttermilk
3 eggs (To get them at room temperature, set out for at least 30 min)
3 teaspoons of salt
nuts (optional)
6 ripe bananas (the riper the better)
1 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
2 teaspoons of baking powder
3 teaspoons of vanilla
Mix shortening, eggs, sugar, and all other ingredients except flour and buttermilk. After mixed well, then add flour and milk alternating. Put in greased and floured bread pans or in some greased and floured cake pans. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or for round cake pans bake for 25-30 min.
.
My Cream Cheese Spread
Mix 1 box of softened cream cheese
Beat until smooth and mix in vanilla, granulated white sugar, and lemon juice to taste.
(Cinnamon and nutmeg sprinkled on top or mixed in spread optional).
.
Do you taste a big difference between banana cake and banana Bread?
Print Friendly and PDF

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Did you know that if your bananas aren't as ripe as you'd like them to be you can put them in a bowl and heat in the microwave for a minute or two? It actually brings out the sugars, making them taste a little sweeter and also makes them easier to mash.

I made banana bread on Sunday but i don't think it was as moist as yours.

Anonymous said...

The cream cheese topping was a great choice :)! It definitely makes it a tasty dessert bread.

Online Cooking Classes

Online Cooking Classes
Click here for more information