Home, Family, Cooking, and Education

Friday, March 6, 2009

Pineapple on the Freeze

To learn how to pick out a ripe pineapple (on video):
Freezing food is one of the best ways to store your favorite foods. If this is something that you are considering, I recommend investing in a deep freezer. I currently have a smaller deep freezer that holds enough food for my family of three that we could live off of for months if needed. It saves time and money in the long run when you just have enough of either one. Just remember to rotate your frozen food by using the oldest first like you would everything else. For National Frozen Food Day I thought about another food item I use that can be great for freezing. I cook a lot with pineapple in the summer and since I have been freezing it, I have been able to use it year round. In California, pineapple goes on sale all the time, sometimes as low as 50 cents a pound. Maybe you have seen it cheaper, if so please share. I will buy a few pineapples, cut them in the few ways that I like to use them, and then freeze them. It is so easy and they still taste terrific. This way, my family and I can enjoy great pineapple, that didn't come from a can, whenever we want (especially when we don't want to buy a fresh one when the prices go up).


I am sure that everyone knows that you should always cut off the skin before preparing the pineapple. If you know you are going to use the whole pineapple for something, you may also freeze the pineapple in it entirety. I have done so when I make pineapple fruit salad bowls that I need the body of the pineapple for. Just thaw it out in the fridge. Works great!

I have considered buying a pineapple corer/slicer and I came across this one in Willam Sonoma. However, I don't know much about them or if they are even worth it. So, my question to you all is...
What do you know of or have you use a pineapple slicer/corer?


I almost wonder if it is just as fast to cut it yourself.

It might be nice to just have a corer for the center. Some people like to eat it with the core and slice it just like it is. Do any of you do this?


I like to cut them in long slices for kabobs and freeze them this way. To keep them from freezing together, you can flash freeze by placing your long slices on a glass or plastic plate and put them in the freezer over night and then bag them.


I usually core mine. Other ways I like to prepare and freeze pineapples are similar to that of canned pineapple. I crush, cube and slice them.

When I slice them, I usually flash freeze them or I put a piece of waxed paper between each slice for when I use them for a juicy burger. The nice thing about using grilled pineapple fresh or from frozen is that they are larger slices to cover the burger and they don't fall apart.

Print Friendly and PDF

2 comments:

Heathie said...

The best way to core a pineapple (in my humble opinion) is the Thai way; Pineapple is used sooo much over there, so they should know how to do it! Here's a link that gives a little picture tutorial. I like it because it creates minimal waste, and it looks cool.
http://importfood.com/howtoslicepineapple.html

Unknown said...

I don't know anything about coring the pineapple but i found a delicious way to use pineapple! I saw it on the Food Network the other day, Giada DiLaurentis made it but i made some changes. Its an icecream topping basically, take about a cup of chopped pineapple and saute in a pan with a little bit of butter, then drizzle with a couple tablespoons of honey, put over vanilla icecream and top with toasted sliced almonds. It is soooo good...you get the sweetness from the honey,tartness from the pineapple and crunch and nutniness from the toasted almonds! You should try this ASAP!

Online Cooking Classes

Online Cooking Classes
Click here for more information