Home, Family, Cooking, and Education

Saturday, March 28, 2009

Veggie Skewers

National Something on a Stick Day had me going with what would be fun to do. My fist thought I had to admit was homemade dipped corn dogs. I don't what it is but, they take me back and I know that I enjoyed them a lot as a kid. But, as I grew older and realized the meaning of real food and junk food, I thought that I should cut back a bit and experiment with a more healthier alternative. So, I decided to talk about our families favorite thing to put on a stick. Yes, it is veggies. We basically put largely cut peppers, red onions, yellow squash, and zucchini squash and red potatoes. But, we have gone as far as using egg plant, carrots, and celery. They are all great ideas. The seasonings can be anything from a mixture of Salt, pepper, paprika, parsley, basil, garlic salt, dill weed, onion powder, and oregano.

Another way to get a good seasoning mix of veggies on the grill is to mix a little olive oil, water, your seasonings, and veggies in a bag and marinate them for about 15 minutes or so. The results are great.


But, if time is not there for you to do so, just season them raw before and a little during the grilling process.

The results will still be fantastic!


Sometimes, I feel the need to boil some of my veggies for a minute or two to speed up the process (especially with the potatoes) and if I think I need a softer veggie instead of so crunchy. However, I prefer just grilled as is will most of the veggies.


What are some veggies you have enjoyed grilling?
Print Friendly and PDF

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I love to grill Corn on the Cob during the summer, once it stops snowing i might start up my bbq grill again:)

Alison said...

We grill our garden veggies all summer (usually zucchini, crook neck squash, onions, sometimes tomatoes, and green pepper). I toss them with olive oil and Creole seasoning and grill them in a basket. So good!

Unknown said...

Oh, I want a grilling basket. Do you just love it or what? I hope to get one this summer. Thanks for the imput.

Online Cooking Classes

Online Cooking Classes
Click here for more information