Home, Family, Cooking, and Education

Monday, November 16, 2009

Butternut Squash and Pumpkin Soup



 
Well, I mentioned I had a couple of more recipes that had pumpkin in them. Of course, I have a few more recipes to share without pumpkin too. It just seems like I can't get enough of this stuff this time of year. A few things that catch my attention when it comes to pumpkin, are soups. These last two weeks, I've had the opportunity to learn the traditional ways to create a foundation for soup and  I was so surprised when I realized that making soups are so basic and low key. I think that apart from pastas, they are one of my favorite things to create, and after learning more about them, I think that it has increase even more. This particular soup, I came up with a couple of years ago and since then, have changed it over and over again. It has now become a simply creamy and lightly sweetened creation that I think brings out the best of both worlds.  It is also gluten Free.

I happen to have a lot of butternut squash in my food storage right now and it should last the whole winter. But, if it looks like I can't use it, I will probably freeze or can some. My friend Kari grows an abundance of squash and other vegetables that she was so willing to share. She gave me a few different types of squash this year including my favorites, Butternut and Spaghetti.  Butternut squash is among the most popular of the squashes. I have used it for baby food, casseroles, pies, soups, etc. If it has squash in it, I usually go for this kind. It is easy to cook and prepare with hardly any messy clean up.

 
TO COOK YOUR BUTTERNUT SQUASH:

 
You can cook your squash anyway you preffer. But, I have to say that baking it, is the best.
  1. Wash your squash on the outside (to rid it of dirt)
  2. Cut into two halfs (length wise)
  3. Carve out small portion of seeds and strands
  4. place on a cookie sheet with about a 1/2 cup of water
  5. Bake in a pre-heated oven set @ 350 for 45 min to 1 hour
Your squash should be soft and easily removable from its skin when it is done.

 


 

 
My Butternut Squash Pumpkin Soup
 by Madeline L.

 
1 large cooked butternut squash
1 cup canned pumpkin
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp table salt
2 Tbsp melted butter
12 oz Evaporated milk
2 Tbsp apricot preserves
up to a 1/4 cup Potato Flakes
(to thicken if needed)
36 oz water
(you can also use a can of chicken or vegetable stock for part of this liquid)

 
Directions: You can do one of two easy ways:

 
Put all ingredients in a large pot and puree with Immersion Blender and heat until soup begins to bubble.

 
Put Pumpkin, squash, milk, water (or half water), and apricot preserves, in blender and then heat over stove and add remaining ingredients. Heat until soup begins to bubble.

 
*As you can see, I am measured out this recipe so, I didn't have to give estimates (even though these really are estimates ;)
Print Friendly and PDF

2 comments:

Amanda said...

You take the best pictures!! This looks FANTABULOUS!!!

Abby said...

So nice of you to share your recipe with all of us!

Online Cooking Classes

Online Cooking Classes
Click here for more information