Home, Family, Cooking, and Education

Friday, December 11, 2009

Eggs Benedict


This really isn't much of a challange but, worth sharing. So many of us have those traditional dishes that we look forward to every Christmas. Growing up, my mother had an array of different candies, cakes, and other sweets to charm her six children into submission during this time of year. I think I had more sweets during Christmas than any Halloween I can remember. Furthermore, these sweets were much more that candy, they required work, patience, and above all, appreciation.

To go along with tradional Chiristmas treats, other tradional dishes made their way in to our home. Since I could remember, we made Christmas Breakfast a big event. Eggs Benedict was the main focus accompanied by hot cocoa, hashbrowns, and a cup of fruit. To this day, when we go home for the Christmas holiday, my mother continues to prepare this special meal for all of us (as we keep growing).

This Christmas season, Saltbox House Cooking Exchange challenges you all to share a tradtional Christmas dish and if you don't have one, share a dish that brings your family together or that you look forward to each year.


Many people are familiar with Eggs Benedict and how they are assembled. It is simply an English muffin (toasted), a slice of Canadian Bacon, and a Poach Egg on top. Another great idea is to use left over Christmas ham in place of the canadian bacon. Some people also like to add slice of chedder cheese. To see my other post about Eggs Benedict click here.

The topping is Hollandaise Sauce that can be homemade or bought in a package in the store (loacted in the gravy section usually). The best packets are the ones that want you to add milk, lemon juice, and butter. For those of you that are looking for a gluten-free option, some brands do not have wheat products but, most do. It is probably best to make your own. Here is my recipe for homemade Hollandaise sauce.

3 Egg Yokes
A Tablespoon of milk (canned or whole milk is great)
2-3 Tablespoons of lemon juice
A stick of butter

Directions:
Melt butter in a double broiler or over stove, add milk. As misxture gets hot, it will thicken. (while stiring continuosly). Add lemon juice at the end and stir. Serve immediately.


For a festive garnish, I like to sprinkle Dill Weed and Paprika on top.
Print Friendly and PDF

4 comments:

Aaron and Carolyn said...

Yum! This looks so good! I have never made hollandaise sauce but have always loved it. I will have to try this one!!

Rachael and Family said...

I made this for some in-laws last Christmas vacation and they had never had it, and of course they loved it. Its my favorite breakfast food. But I find myself making it for dinner occasionally.

Heileson Family said...

In 7 years I have only been around for it once and it was last year at New Years when we all stayed at the house. We are never around Christmas morning to have it. It is really good and I think when you have family around to eat it with it is even better.

Gloria said...

It has been a fun run of Eggs Benedict I'd say. Like Angelene said, I think we might have to change it to New Year's morning so everyone can get in on it.

Online Cooking Classes

Online Cooking Classes
Click here for more information