Home, Family, Cooking, and Education

Saturday, July 10, 2010

Salmon!

I have to confess I never thought I'd like fish. My fish experience growing up consisted mostly of trout that we caught in the summer with my grandparents while camping/fishing at Fish Lake in Central Utah. The trips were terrific! Fishing while groggy and freezing at 5 in the morning was even terrific, but eating the fish was never a high point for me. Grandpa made some for breakfast once that he battered and fried and that was bearable, but otherwise, I ate as little as possible. My mom made salmon occasionally, but I adamantly stuck to my "as little as possible" rule. All fish to me tasted fishy until I moved to Oregon.

We've been here only 3 weeks and have had quite a bit of fish. Ty was excited to get wild salmon again (after great experiences in Brittish Columbia). I reluctantly agreed to prepare and cook it as long as it was done outside. Still hate the smell of fish!

We've done it two differend ways and have loved them both. The first was a tried and true version thanks to my aunt and family -

salmon filet
1-2 T butter
1/4 c lemon juice
salt & pepper
1/2 t dill (optional)

lay salmon filet on large piece of foil. top with butter, lemon or lime juice, salt and pepper and/or dill. wrap in foil and cook on bbq for 20 - 30 min.

we ate it with dill sauce that we made up as we went along from what was in the fridge -

1/4 c sour cream (i'm want to try it with greek yogurt instead)
1/3 c mayonaise
2 t dill weed
2 T lime juice
(measurements are approximate)

it was delicious and probably pretty healthy (minus the butter, sour cream and mayo...)

the second reciipe we tried was a recipe we "improved upon" from the internet -

1 salmon filet (~2 lbs)
2 T milk
1/3 c mayonaise (the olive oil version)
1/2 c finely chopped onion
3 cloves minced garlic
1 t lemon pepper
1 c fineley chopped spinach
6 - 8 mushrooms sliced
1/2 - 3/4 c parmesan cheese

mix onion, garlic, lemon pepper and spinach in a small bowl.

lay salmon filet, skin side down, on a piece of tin foil. use a basting brush to "paint" the salmon filet with milk, then spread mayonaise evenly across the top. top with onion, garlic, lemon pepper and spinach mixture, then with parmesan cheese and mushrooms. lay open on bbq for 30 min or until fish is flakey.

this was delicious. a little more fattening maybe, but really tasty! if we did this recipe again we decided we'd add a T or so of lime juice and some zuccini and or yellow squash on top. this was a great all in one casserole style dinner. more veggies would have been great. it was nice because (now that we don't have ac) we didn't have to heat up our kitchen at all.

these recipes were a hit with tyler and me and with the kiddos too. obviously they didn't inherit their mother's wariness of fish.

thanks again for all of your delicious recipes. we're emjoying them at our house too!
love, michelle
Print Friendly and PDF

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Totally trying this! I love Salmon. Thanks for sharing!

Online Cooking Classes

Online Cooking Classes
Click here for more information