Home, Family, Cooking, and Education

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Swei Jyaus (Sway Jows) a.k.a. Pot Stickers

Picture Available Soon (as soon as I can find my camera...again...)


Until I find my camera, here's what they look like basically. These have been fried in oil after being cooked. They're yummu that way, but a little less on the lite side... :) The fist picture shows how they're folded. I only made 2 pleats, but you can do it however you want - just so no filling is coming out the edges. :) Photos taken from http://fortheloveofcooking-recipes.blogspot.com/2008/09/chicken-pot-stickers.html

I love fall food, but unfortunateley, I'm the only one in my family who will eat soup - so here's what we've been eating lateley. This is my husband's favorite dish. His mom learned to make it while living in Taiwan as a missionary. His family eats this for special occasions and on Chineese New Year (which isn't for awhile, but hey - special occasions happen all year around, right?).

Ingredients:

1/2 lb cabbage, chopped really fine or grated small
1/2 t salt (optional*)

2 0z chinese chives (green onions), chopped small
1/2 lb ground pork
1/2 T MSG (I don't use this)
3 T sesame oil
1/4 t black pepper
1 T ginger root, grated or chopped small - more or less ginger root will make them more or less spicey. I like them on the spicy side so I add a little more than 1 T.

1 package of skins (round wontons)
small cup of warm water

1) Chop cabbage and sprinkle with salt. Refrigerate for several hours before using. *Neither Ty's mom nor I do this. She says it's more trouble than it's worth, but I might get ambitious and try it sometime.
2)Add green onions, pork, MSG, sesame oil, black pepper and ginger root to cabbage and mix thoroughly.
3)Set out a cookie sheet or dish to hold prepared swei jyaus until you're ready to cook. These take a few minutes to make. Trace around the outside of one skin with warm water, put about 1 t of the pork and cabbage mixture in the center, then fold the skin in half and press around the edges. I don't know if you can see in this picture, but we made 2 pleats in the top side of the skin to help it seal better and not pop open while cooking. (The easiest way to do these is with a dough press, but I don't have one. Ty's mom does and it makes it a lot faster!!!) Anyway, continue making sewi jyaus until you run out of pork or skins. If you have extra skins, you can fry them like wontons or if you have extra pork, you can cook it in a fry pan and use it for later.
4) Just before you're ready to eat, bring a large pot of water to boil. Add 8-10 swei jyaus at a time and cook for about 8 minutes. Ty's mom adds swei jyaus, then 1/2 c cold water, waits until the water boils again, adds another 1/2 c of water, then waits until it boils again. This is a bit of a pain, but I think it helps them not pop open as easily. Give it a shot and let me know what you think.
5)Serve warm with dipping sauce (about 2 parts soy sauce to 1 part peanut oil) Use chop sticks to make it even more intersting. :)

Enjoy!!
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Online Cooking Classes

Online Cooking Classes
Click here for more information