Home, Family, Cooking, and Education

Monday, February 11, 2013

Austrian Sachertorte from Wolfgang Puck

 
Here is another updated post from back in 2008. I think it is the perfect time of year to share this delicious cake when chocolate season is in full bloom. It is very light yet flavorful dark chocolate cake with layers of Apricot filling and covered with a chocolate ganache. It is a little time consuming, but not a difficult process. It also requires only a small amount of flour which makes it easy to transfer to a Gluten-free version.
 
 
Story of Sachertorte Cake
This dark chocolate apricot filled cake originates in Austria and happens to be one of my favorites. The first time I tried it, was on my 20th birthday. It was made for me by an Italian woman named Sabrina, who I worked for in Austria at the time. The moment I tried it, I was hooked. I actually thought it was an Italian cake until I read about a man named Franz Sacher of Vienna who created it. In fact, only original Sachertorte can be found in Vienna or Salzburg Austria. It really is something special! I wish I had a recipe from my wonderful employer, but I do not. The next best thing would be from a well known local Austrian chef, Wolfgang Puck. I made his over and over again and it tastes almost identical to Sabrina's. I will even double the recipe to make a taller and more layered cake. It is worth it, if you like this cake. I hope you all enjoy.  


Wolfgang Puck's Sachertorte
 
Ingredients for cake:
6 ounces of bittersweet chocolate (in small pieces)
6 tablespoons of unsalted butter
4 egg yokes
4 ounces of sugar
5 egg whites
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup of all-purpose flour or Gluten free flour

Directions:
 
 
Step One:
Melt together chocolate and butter in a bowl over pre-boiled water that is now simmering. Remove from heat and let it cool down.
 
 

Step Two:
In another bowl whip egg yokes and 2 tablespoons of sugar together until you can see ribbons when you take the whisk out. (Like above)

 
Step Three:
Beat in melted chocolate mixture into the egg mixture.
 

Step Four:
In another clean bowl, whip egg whites and salt until you see soft peaks. Then gradually add remaining 6 tablespoons of sugar and whip until you see stiff peaks.
 
 
Fold in flour until you can't see any streaks.
 
 
Step Five:
Fold in 1/3 of egg white mixture into chocolate one until lightened and then slowly but, thoroughly fold in the rest of the mixture.

 

Step Six: Pour, Bake, and Separate
Pour into pre-buttered and floured 9 inch round pan or spring form pan.
 
 
 
Bake in a preheated oven until done (a toothpick should come out clean).
About 25-40 min depending on your altitude and oven. Check at 25 minutes and then every 5-10 minutes after.  
 
 
Let it cool in pan for about 10-15 minutes, place upside down on plate.
 
 
With a serrated knife, cut into 2-3 layers.
 

Step Seven: Make Apricot Filling
Ingredients for Filling:
1 cup of Apricot Preserves
1 tablespoon of Apricot Brandy. (I use juice or water)
Blend Apricot Filling in a food processor or blender until smooth.
 
 
 
Step Eight:
Spread Apricot filling on top of each layer. Put in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
 
 
Step Nine: Make Ganache
Ingredients for Ganache:
6 ounces of Bittersweet Chocolate in small pieces
2 tablespoons of unsalted butter
2 ounces of heavy cream
 
Melt chocolate and butter together in a bowl over post boiled and now simmering water in a pot.
In a separate little pot, bring cream to a boil. Mix hot cream into chocolate mixture. Let it cool enough to pour and spread easily over cake.
 
 

Step Ten:
Spread chocolate glaze all over cake. Refrigerate again for at least 30-45 minutes until ready to serve.
 


 
Serve with fresh whipped cream.
 
 
Has anyone ever tried this or other Austrian Food?
Print Friendly and PDF

2 comments:

Rachael and Family said...

that looks so good wil you make it for me sometime and use rice flour instead?

Heathie said...

Looks delicious! My favorite chef is the Take Home Chef, Curtis Stone('cause he's cute and the only one I've ever really watched...).

Online Cooking Classes

Online Cooking Classes
Click here for more information