Home, Family, Cooking, and Education

Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Go "Nuts" with Walnut Cookie Bars

Another Cookie Celebration. This time it is National Cookie Day (4th of Dec). I can't help but think that December is a time that people eat a lot of nuts. I know that I receive a bag or two of walnuts each year. Nuts are an awesome gift for someone who likes to cook. They can be pricey depending on the type you get. But, they last a long time (in the freezer of course). Yes, nuts can go rancid like butter, coconut, and dried fruit (I also keep in the freezer to keep fresh). Not only are they called for in many recipes, but they are very good for you. This recipe is one in particular that I like to use up my walnuts for. It has a little story to it, so I'll be brief. My mother has made these for as long as I can remember. They are popular at weddings and at funerals and she'll make them by the cookie sheet full. She also makes many more during the holidays. These bars have a wonderful chewy caramelized nut flavor that just melts in your mouth. I have not had anything else that can compare to them. But, I don't get out that much either :). So, I hope you enjoy and make this recipe apart of your kitchen.
For Crust, Mix: 1 cup of flour, 1/4 cup of light brown sugar, 1/2 cup of butter (softened). I just mixed it with my fingers until it became a cross between cookie dough and a pastry crust.

Flatten out onto a 9 x13 in pan. (My mother usually doubles the recipe and spreads it out onto a cookie or jelly roll sheet) Bake in a pre-heated oven @ 350 degrees for 5-15 mins UNTIL LIGHT BROWN. Like this.


For Walnut mixture, combined: 1 1/4 cup of light brown sugar, 1/2 cup of coconut, 2 tablespoons of flour, 1 cup of chopped walnuts, 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder, and 2 beaten eggs.



Spread mixture over crust.


Baked in pre-heated oven @ 350 degrees for 15-30 mins. UNTIL MEDIUM BROWN. Like this. It should be soft but, firm. Let it cool for about 10-15 mins.


Spread a thin layer of Vanilla frosting over it. There are probably a thousand recipes all for the same kind of icing. My basic vanilla frosting is one that I have put together and has worked for me for the past 4 years. It is perfects for anything that needs a quick frost.

My Basic Vanilla Frosting: Makes about 2 cups

1/4 cup of soft butter
1 teaspoon of Vanilla
A dash of salt (yes salt)
2 Tablespoons of canned (evaporated) milk
Blend until mixed well
Add up to 2 cups of powdered sugar (depending on the consistency you want)
Print Friendly and PDF

2 comments:

Rachael and Family said...

these are one of my favorite bars.

Sweet Cheeks said...

Wow those look so so good!

Online Cooking Classes

Online Cooking Classes
Click here for more information