Home, Family, Cooking, and Education

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Spotlight Potato Salad

 

Congratulations to my sister in law Sunny. I wanted to spotlight her for her delicious potato salad that she makes, especially during the summer. Every time we go to her house, she goes out of her way to make my husband (her brother) and me something really great. I have more of her wonderful recipes that I will put on this blog in the future but, for now, I want to recognize her for this recipe. This recipe doesn't come with measurements. Come to think of it, Sunny does a lot of her cooking simply by "eye balling" it, and the results, always turn out fantastic. I will, however, provide you with my estimates when I tried it out for myself. Plus, any changes. Thank you Sunny, Enjoy!



According to Sunny's recipe, she uses regular cooked cubed hash browns. I decided to use up some of my potatoes I had in the pantry and yes, I left the skin on them. Being from Idaho, I think the habit of eating the whole potato has not parted from me yet.
Cook cubed potatoes by boiling water until tender.
Drain Potatoes and douse with cold water, drain again.
* I use 6-8 med sized potatoes or 1 large bag of cubed hash browns.


Add chopped boiled eggs.
* I used 1/2-1 egg per potato.


Additional Ingredients:
Chopped Onion
Chopped Pickles
Crumbled Bacon or bacon bits
Mix together

* 1 whole small onion
(I used 1/2 of a Walla Walla Onion)
3-4 large pickles
4-6 slices of bacon or 1/2-1 cup or bacon bits.

Now, she adds Mayo and Mustard.
*Today I used mustard and half mayo, half sour cream. I honestly don't really measure these either but, I am guessing about 2 Tablespoons of mustard and 1 cup of Mayo.
(I used 1/2 cup of each mayo and sour cream approximately)
The nice thing, is you can always add more and it should be good.

Her recipe ends with adding salt and pepper to taste.
(In addition to the salt and pepper, today I added dill weed and paprika)
*

What Salad Calls Out to You in the Summer?
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Online Cooking Classes

Online Cooking Classes
Click here for more information