Home, Family, Cooking, and Education

Friday, March 5, 2010

Pulled Pork Acorn Squash

We are getting down to the last weeks of winter. Even though I am really excited for spring, I'm still enjoying some winter delites. Winter squash is among those, you can usually buy winter squash through the spring and in some areas you can buy it year round. This dish I created a while back when I started to use my rice cooker for making other things besides rice. I love that about the rice cooker. My rice cooker makes faster meals than the oven or slow cooker and easier than my regular pressure cooker. With this recipe, I baked the acorn squash in the oven at the same time that I cook the pulled pork in my rice cooker and in one hour, I have a delicious meal.

Wash and cut your Acron squash lengthwise, then clean out seeds with a large spoon. Slice the inside of each half in a criss cross like shown above. 

I like to brush some olive oil over the squash before I bake it. Bake in a pre-heated oven set at 400 degrees for 60-75 min.
I like to use Pork Carnitas cuts because they make the best pulled pork for me every time.
You need about 2 pounds. Rub pork with Salt, Pepper, and Paprika as desired.

Rub about 2 teaspoons of olive oil on the bottom of the rice cooker.
Click your rice cooker on and brown all sides of your meat when the cooker is hot.

Then, add these ingredients for the sauce:
1 cup of your favorite BBQ sauce (I use Bull's Eye)
1/2 cup of Chicken or Beef Stock
6-8 oz of apple, white grape, or pineapple juice. (I use what I have)
Cook for 60 minutes until cooked thoroughly
Shred your meat with a fork or pull it apart with your fingers. It should come apart fairly easy.

I like to serve mine with a side scoop of vanilla or plain yogurt and some orange slices. Trust me, the combination is unbelievable.

Or, if you find that the combination works for you already (like I do). Fan out your orange slices on your squash and drizzle the yogurt over top. Yummy.

There is just something about the yogurt and the BBQ sauce that makes the whole thing come together perfectly!
Print Friendly and PDF

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Oh Madeline this looks SO good!!! I have a ton of pork in the freezer right now so will be making this soon :). Thanks!

Online Cooking Classes

Online Cooking Classes
Click here for more information