Home, Family, Cooking, and Education

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Food, Inc.- 'Making a Choice Every Day'





Hello everyone! In honor of World Health Awareness day I was asked to post a this link and begin a discussion. Hopefully, this is a discussion that will not stop here in the blog and that will be taken into our homes and families. The movie Food, Inc. has gained vast media attention due to the controversial and rather 'taboo' subject matter. While some shy away from this topic and all are of course entitled to their own opinions, I hope that each of us will at least watch the movie with an open mind and give it a fair chance to enlighten and educate from a perspective that is unorthodox. I saw the movie last year and I can honestly say it has been nothing but a benefit to my family and I. I have been involved with the health food movement since high school and prior to the film assumed that I had a thorough enough understanding of food in our culture. This movie revealed to me that I still have so much to learn. No matter where you are in the spectrum of the modern day food movements, this movie can teach you something. I will not get too heavily into the exact topic of the movie in hopes that your first viewing experience will not be biased based on what I have said here. I will, however, say that this film is inspiring, shocking, disturbing, motivating, and well researched all at the same time. You will find yourself feeling empathy with people and creatures that have a massive impact on your every day life behind the scenes who, prior to the film, you knew little or nothing about. I challenge everyone to watch this movie and do so with an open mind. I also challenge you all to do your own research about the topics discussed in the film and discover for yourself how you feel about what you eat, why you eat it, who you feed it to, and most of all- who pays for your actions at the end of the day. Be warned, after this movie you will feel more accountable for your food choices. Perhaps, as it was with me, you will have to make some changes based on the fact that with more knowledge comes more responsibility, but don't let these factors keep you from knowing more about your food. After all, we are what we eat. Do it for your families, your friends, your communities, the earth, and for yourself- you all deserve the best. God bless.
-Stephani Teran
Print Friendly and PDF

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for doing this Stephanie. I am actually on my way to the library for story time and I hope to check it out while I am there. I will have to comment again after I see it although I have a pretty good idea what it is about and I am looking forward to it.

Unknown said...

Ok, I have watched this movie twice in the last three days. I was so impressed with the information and the quality of the making of the film not the mention the two key messages it gave. Well, I felt like there were two really important ones that grouped together in the end. I could go on and on about this film but, I really agree with Stephanie on this and challenge everyone to find out for themselves.

Online Cooking Classes

Online Cooking Classes
Click here for more information