Home, Family, Cooking, and Education

Saturday, May 8, 2010

Penne in Tomato-Artichoke sauce

This is one of our favorite recipes, and it has fresh or dried herbs. (fresh is always better though :P)
It is from my Carol Fenster cookbook.  It can be made either regular, or Gluten Free.

1 Can petite diced tomatoes (15 oz) including juice
2 Tsp chopped fresh basil (1t dried)
1t chopped fresh oregano (1/2t dried)
1t chopped fresh thyme (1/2t dried)
1/4 t sugar
1/8 t salt (plus more for pasta water)
1/8t crushed red pepper (we found this too much and use less)
dash freshly ground black pepper
1 jar (4.5 ounces)marinated artichokes, drained and coarsely chopped
1/2 lb gluten free penne (can use penne of your choice)
1. In a medium heavy sauce pan heat the tomatoes, basil, oregano, thyme, salt, sugar, crushed red pepper, and black pepper over meduim-high heat. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer, covered about 10-15 minutes
2. while this cooks bring a large pot of water to a boil.  Salt the water, add the pasta, and cook according to package directions Serve sauce over drained pasta.

I always start the pasta first, but that is because my gluten free pasta of choice takes about 20 minutes to cook, after the water is boiling.  so I start the water boiling before I start my sauce.
Print Friendly and PDF

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love all of these ingredients. My sister is here visiting and I really want to make this for her. I'll have to buy some brown rice pasta I saw at Trader Joes the other day. I bet it would work perfect for this dish. Thanks for sharing!

Julie said...

When do you put the artichokes in?

Online Cooking Classes

Online Cooking Classes
Click here for more information