Home, Family, Cooking, and Education

Monday, November 22, 2010

Simply Shepherd's Pie and my Intro



Photo by Madeline L.
 Hi my name is Lindsay. This is my first post which supposed to be about me. All I can say is I love food but I don’t love cooking. I do however enjoy other people’s cooking and thought that this blog would be fun to join and add what I do know about cooking and anything else that comes to my mine about food. My favorite dishes to make are things containing rice. Plus, breakfast foods are a must in our house. My husband is currently looking for a cook as I have not quite reached his level of cooking standards. So, to all of you out there in my position, look for my posts, share your thoughts, and maybe we can get through this together ;).

Simply Shepherd’s Pie

Even though this type of dish is not in the rice or breakfast category, it is an ideal meal that doesn't require much work or much thought (Yes!) The fun part is mixing and matching whatever combinations you like. The whole point is to layer and bake!

Examples of Ingredients to layer:
Vegetables- You can use any type really. I use whatever I have. Here are some ideas (Although I probably wouldn't put all of them together, just mix some of them):
Tomatoes
Corn
Carrots
Zucchini
Other squash
String Beans
Cabbage
Peppers

*Note: Saute and mix all of your vegetables before you place them in the cooking pan for fast baking.

Meats or Beans- If you don't have any meat, you can use beans for a more Mexican style or vegetarian.
Hamburger (Traditional and most commonly used)
Shredded or Chopped Steak, Chicken, or Pork.

*Note: Cook all of your meat or beans before adding these to the cooking pan.

Season/Sauce
You can season the meat or beans with sauce packets or your favorite seasonings making them spicy, sweet, or plain. I like to use brown gravy with meat but, you can use any type of gravy or you can make your own sauce.

*Note: Make sauce before covering meat and veggies.

Mashed Potatoes or Rice
You can cover up your shepherd's pie with pre-made mashed potatoes (instant works too). Or, you can even use steamed rice.

Toppings:
Generally you use a variety of cheeses that melt on top as it bakes, other things people have tried are bread crumbs and more seasonings.

Directions in Six Simple Steps:
1- Layer Veggies (or Meat) on the bottom of a deep cooking pan. I use a 9x13 cake pan.
2- Add  Meat (or Veggies) as the next layer
3- Add Sauce or gravy
4- Add top layer with mashed potatoes or rice
5- Top with Shredded Cheeses.
6- Bake: If everything is pre-cooked, you only have to bake for up to 30 min (plus or minus) at 350 degrees.


That's It!
Print Friendly and PDF

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I can't get enough of that picture. I hope to see more posts from you and all that you bring to the table. Perhaps you can share your entertaining ideas. ;)

Online Cooking Classes

Online Cooking Classes
Click here for more information