Home, Family, Cooking, and Education

Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Go All Out with Chicken Fajitas

Ok, so this is not a genuine Mexican dish. It is more TexMex cuisine. I guess when I think about meat in a tortilla, I automatically think of Mexican. Fajitas are a favorite of mine in whatever category you put them into. I think that they can be changed up in so many ways and still have tons of flavor. This recipe is a basic fajita recipe that I make from Scratch. Try it this week, you won't be sorry.

Cut Peppers into strips.

I like to saute mine with cilantro, onions, and green chilies.


My favorite homemade fajita seasoning is from Better Homes and Garden:

Homemade Fajita Seasoning:
In a small bowl combine:
1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon onion powder


*You might want to add a little water to make it into a good sauce.
Grill chicken to your liking. Other popular choices for meat are: Pork, Steak, Fish, Shrimp etc.

I like to serve mine with Pico de Gallo, Sour cream, Crushed Avocados, shredded lettuce, and cheese. Don't forget the corn, wheat, or white flour tortillas!
(note* Picture does not show tortillas made from scratch, I didn't have shortening today).
*

Homemade Flour Tortilla Recipe:
2 cups Flour
1 tsp. Baking Powder
1 tsp. Salt
1 Tablespoon Shortening
1/2 -3/4 cup of warm water
Mix all dry ingredients; then cut in shortening. Add water until dough is soft, Sit in warm spot for 15 min. Then divide and roll out on a floured surface. Cook on griddle until light brown.
*

What meat do you have with your fajitas? Have you tried any others besides the usual Steak, chicken or Pork?
Print Friendly and PDF

2 comments:

Natalie Jane said...

Yum. We do it with homemade corn torillas and fish. And my super famous salsa. We are having it this weekend actually. Now that I have seen your post, the craving has set in....

Unknown said...

Looks really good!

Online Cooking Classes

Online Cooking Classes
Click here for more information