Home, Family, Cooking, and Education

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Not Your Usual Grilled Cheese

Learn more about this amazing chef including recipes:
http://www.tylerflorence.com/ Tyler Florence (born Kevin Tyler Florence on March 3, 1971) is a chef and television star of several Food Network shows. He graduated from the College of Culinary Arts at the Charleston, South Carolina, campus of Johnson & Wales University in 1991. He was later given an honorary doctorate from the university for his culinary success. He hosted Food 911 and How to Boil Water, and currently hosts Tyler's Ultimate on the Food Network.

This particular recipe, Tyler's grilled cheese sandwich, is a favorite in our house. It is made up of unique, yet juicy flavors that you normally don't find in a grilled cheese sandwich. Even with my substitutions, both versions still shares that wonderful taste. I recommend you try it for yourself. Each bit has a cheesy and smokey flavor with just a little juicy crunch from the Granny Smith apple. Delicious!


I apologize for the 'not so clear' picture I took this evening when I made these. (Had to use an older camera). Here is Tyler Florence's recipe for his Grilled Cheese Sandwich.
(My substitutions will also be added)


Ingredients
8 slices country-style white bread, sliced 1/2-inch thick
12 ounces farmhouse Cheddar, sliced
(I used smoked cheddar or Gouda Cheese if I can't find farmhouse)
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
(I spray on I can't Believe it's not butter or lightly brush on melted butter)
12 slices bacon, cooked to desired doneness
1 green apple, thinly sliced
Dijon mustard
(I use my dill mustard mix: 1 teaspoon mustard, 1 tablespoon mayo, and 1 teaspoon of Dill weed)
Directions
Heat griddle or large skillet over medium-low heat. Alternatively you can use your panini press if you have one.
Assemble sandwich: Generously spread Mustard on 4 slices of bread. Top with slices of Cheddar, 3 pieces of bacon, apple slices and additional Cheddar. Place the remaining bread on top and spread with butter. Place on skillet buttered-side down and butter the remaining side. Cook until cheese is slightly melted and bread is browned. Flip the sandwich and continue to cook until cheese is thoroughly melted and sandwich is golden brown.

*
Has anyone tried these?
Or do you think this is something you'd like to try?
Print Friendly and PDF

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am going to try that...maybe tonight? Looks really yummy.

Online Cooking Classes

Online Cooking Classes
Click here for more information