Home, Family, Cooking, and Education

Thursday, April 2, 2009

PB and J

What is one of the first things you think of when you think of a Peanut butter and Jelly Sandwich? If you asked me that before I had my daughter, I would probably say something like "Milk" or "Kindergarten". Now, I think of these Uncrustables that have become a favorite thing among kids. I think at some points in my childhood I didn't want the crust on my bread. I know that my two year old doesn't care if she has the crust either. But, for some reason, I think that with out the crust, it just makes it that much better. I tried my first Uncrustable at a friends house for a snack and thought it was a desert. Wow! Not only have I not eaten white bread in a while but, a peanut butter and jelly sandwich as well. It was so good I wanted another but, then looked at the 300 + calories that I had already consumed in a snack the size of my palm. But, my daughter however, was asking for seconds. At around $ 2.00 for a box of six, some might think that is pretty good. But, if you had a jar of peanut butter, jam and long loaf of bread, you could be making them for less than a dime each. So, I guess you have to wonder what is worth it to you.


If making your own is something you are considering, I have come across this great find from Pampered Chef. It is their Cut-N-Seal and makes those great uncrustables the way most kids like them. I know that there are other brands that make these and it might be something to look into for those of you that have to keep cutting the crust off your kid's bread. Other ways I have trimmed the crust off quick is with the end of a glass or a cookie cutter. It cuts but, I have to pinch the bread together with my fingers.
*
Any other suggestions on that one?
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Online Cooking Classes

Online Cooking Classes
Click here for more information