Home, Family, Cooking, and Education

Thursday, October 1, 2009

Grilling Basket


Ok, I can't share this tool without saying who recommended it to me. A year ago, I shared a recipe for veggie skewers on this blog and Alison commented about using a grilling basket and how it worked for her. This summer I decided to buy one to try it out. I was amazed! I put all of my veggies in the basket and they were all evenly grilled together (No more sticks for me). Now Alison, I want you to tell me any other suggestions you have as I might be doing this wrong.


The Cooking Tool highlight allows you to rave about a specific cooking tool or set of tools. This can be an appliance, gadget, or cookware. These cooking tools are there to make it a little easier in the kitchen. It is hard for me to see an infomercial and not say "I think I could use one of those" and at the same time also think "Who would use that?". However the case my be, I think I have to go by someone I know who has used one and not the "non-paid actor" on TV. So, if you love it, share it! It also helps to share what you like to do it with.


First, I prep my veggies by cleaning, cutting and blanching (some do not require blanching). My grilling veggies of choice are: Red onions, peppers, red potatoes, yellow squash, zucchini, asparagus (now that Nichole recommended it), eggplant, and corn. I blanched the potatoes, squash and zucchini because they have thicker skins.
Next, I marinade the veggies in a gallon size plastic bag with some olive oil and herbs. I have also used ready made marinade or teriyaki sauce and they turned out great. I marinade them for 15-30 minutes.
Last, I dumped them into the grilling basket over a hot grill and continued to turn the basket over every 5 or so minutes until they are done.
The results are delicious!
Print Friendly and PDF

3 comments:

Alison said...

Aren't grilled veggies the best? That's a great idea to blanch the potatoes. I never use them because they cook longer than the softer veggies. And nobody likes crunchy potatoes.

I always marinade ours in olive oil and Tony Cachore's creole seasoning because that's what the husband likes. And we just can't do without the Roma tomatoes (or grape). Grilled tomatoes are sooo good.

Rachael and Family said...

I love the grilling basket idea. I've never ever heard of it. Now I need to get one. Where do you get them? I always like to cook vegtables on the grill but I usually put them on tin foil. the basket seems like a time saver and money saver. No more going through all that tin foil.

Unknown said...

I need to get one of these! I loved grilled veggies but sometimes it seems like too much work on the grill, cool idea.

Online Cooking Classes

Online Cooking Classes
Click here for more information