Home, Family, Cooking, and Education

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Money saving tips...

Tip #1: Did you know that milk can be frozen for up to two months? When it is on sale, we buy a few gallons and throw them in the freezer. When it looks like we will be needing more soon, we pull it out and let it thaw on the counter for a day. It taste just as good as it would have straight from the store. For some reason, it looks yellow when it is frozen but don't worry, it is fine. Tip #2: Meat is expensive. Use it wisely. We buy beef chunks and stir fry meat when it is on sale (and lets face it, we do this even when it's not on sale) and break it up for individual meals before freezing it. Just open the container and put a small hand full into a freezer bag.

You'll quickly discover that you don't need tons of meat in your stir fry or in your strogonof and when it's not all frozen in one chunk, you don't have to use it all at once. I also like that when I make crock pot meals, I don't have to thaw my meat. I just rip the bag so that the meat comes out in one chunk, pour on my ingredients, and let it cook.

Tip #3: Pancake syrup is a waste of money. Make your own, it is a LOT cheaper.

Ingredients
1 cup water
2 cups sugar
1/8 tsp mapeline, maple extract or imitation maple flavoring

Mix the water and sugar together in a microwave safe bowl or measuring cup and heat for five minutes in the microwave. Stop and stir every minute (or close to it- sometimes mine only gets stirred two to three times but it still works. Just make sure the sugar is dissolved when it's done). Add your maple.
When you're done, put it in a container with a lid and store in the fridge. If it is not covered, it will start to form sugar crystals. We used a canning jar at first. Later we bought syrup for a camp out, making sure the container was microwave safe. We fill that with our home made syrup after it is made.
Print Friendly and PDF

6 comments:

Unknown said...

How wonderful! I love all of these tips. Thanks so much for sharing.

Abby said...

Love these tips! I have a book called "The Cheapest Family In America" and it's full of great tips on how to save money on food and other areas of life. I recommend it!

Amanda said...

Yes, I agree GREAT tips. I will be using them all :). Thanks!!

Rachael and Family said...

I love the ideas. I didnt know you could freeze milk but I'm happy to know I can. And my husband is always asking why I dont make home made syrup and now I can.

Burnhams said...

We love making our own syrup. So much cheaper! and not hard either. and one less thing to keep on that condiment rack in the fridge :)

Michelle Evans said...

cool tips! i think i'm going to try freezing milk. thanks!

Online Cooking Classes

Online Cooking Classes
Click here for more information