Home, Family, Cooking, and Education

Thursday, December 17, 2009

Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookie Bars

These cookie bars turned out to be a success when I didn't even plan on making them. As the story goes, my husband requested some peanut butter cookies with chocolate chips while I was in the middle of making all of our Christmas treats for our neighbors. I asked "Why don't you make some while I make these cookie bars". His willful reply was "But, you make them so much better than I do". Ha! This is quickly translated into the words "I don't really want to make them when you can do it for me."As much as I wanted to come back and say that, I decided to make these, which is a cross between the two. Well, as my luck had it, he liked them better than my peanut butter cookies with chocolate chips. I honestly don't know the source of this recipe as it was hand written from one of my mother's church cookbooks.  

Recipe for Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookie Bars:
Step 1
1/2 cup Butter (softened) or Butter flavored Crisco with 3 tsp water
1/2 cup packed Brown Sugar
1/2 cup white sugar

Cream these 3 ingredients together

Step 2
1 egg
1 teaspoon of baking soda
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla
1/3 cup of peanut butter
1/4 teaspoon of salt

Blend into creamed mixture

Step 3
1 cup of flour
1 cup of oats

Stir into mixture

Depending on how thick or thin you want your cookie bars. You can bake them in a cake pan or double the recipe and spread out on a large cookie sheet. Bake in a pre-heated oven set @ 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until done. Turn off oven and spread a bunch of milk chocolate chips all over top of cookie bars and put bake into the oven for a few minutes until chips are soft enough to spread all over. Spread them all over and then drizzle Peanut butter topping:

Peanut Butter Topping
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/4 cup Peanut Butter
2-4 Tablesoons of milk

* I put the topping mixture in a ziplock sack, snip the end and drizzle a bunch of lines.
Then, I took my butter knife and drew lines with it going the oppostie way which pulls the mixture into a pretty design (as shown above).

I made mine in a small cake pan so these bars look thick (kind of like fudge).
Print Friendly and PDF

5 comments:

Wendy said...

These look awesome Madeline! I'm excited to try them.
For the record... I maintain that there are things that Noal really does make better than me. But yes, I still use that line as an excuse sometimes :)

Wendy said...

Oh, I meant to tell you that your pictures are great!

Rachael and Family said...

those do look good. My husband would love them, and my kids.

Unknown said...

Those look so pretty.

Heileson Family said...

Hello, Wendy on commenting. I want to try them. My problem is I want to make all these but only my kids and I will eat them. I can have one or two and that is it. I need to maybe just fourth the recipes and make small little pans of it. Yummy.

Online Cooking Classes

Online Cooking Classes
Click here for more information