Home, Family, Cooking, and Education

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Traditional Pumpkin Bread

Photos by Madeline L.
Here is a traditional bread that I make for our neighbors and our family during Christmas. I got it from a very old cookbook that I have had since the 70's and since then has had all kinds of acidents cross its path by means of wear and tear. But, it still has some great recipes and worth holding on to. I hope all of you enjoy this one.

Pumpkin Bread:

2 cups of pumpkin                                         2 cups of sugar
2/3 c up of butter or margarine softened        1/2 cup of water
3 eggs                                                          2 1/2 cup of all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking soda                                         1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon                                             1/2 tsp cloves
2/3 c dates or rasins (optional)                      2/3 cups of chopped nuts

Heat oven to 325 degrees. Grease (not oil) bottom of two 8x4 or 9x5 loaf pans. In large bowl combine pumpkin, sugar, butter, water and eggs. Beat 1 minute at medium speed. Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup, level off. Add flour, soda, salt, cinnamon and cloves. Beat 1 minute at medium speed. Stir in dates and nuts. Pour into prepared pans. Bake for 50-60 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans for 5 minutes; remove and cool completely.
Print Friendly and PDF

3 comments:

Heileson Family said...

I want some. I have only had your bread maybe twice. Hmm bring some over for us too. :) Did you make mini loaves?

Gloria said...

Yes, I really like to do the mini loaves for Christmas hand-outs. I will try to have some extra for you this year.

Unknown said...

I love this bread. Hey, these are the pictures I took last year. I'm glad I didn't put it on the blog before you did.

Online Cooking Classes

Online Cooking Classes
Click here for more information