Home, Family, Cooking, and Education

Friday, February 7, 2014

Mexican Tortilla Skillet

This is one of our family favorites.  Always a hit with the kids and easy to make.  

1 cup salsa
1 can tomato soup
1 can corn
1 can black beans
1 cup water
1 cup cheese, shredded
About 8 tortillas
1 can olives (optional)

In a large skillet place salsa, soup, corn, water and black beans.  Heat on high heat until mixture starts to bubble.  Reduce heat and simmer until heated through and flavors are blended, about 5 minutes.  Cut tortillas in to squares.  I layer 4 at a time and use a pizza cutter, but any method will do.  Place cut up tortilla squares into skillet and stir them in so they are all wet.  Continue to simmer about 4 or 5 more minutes.  Tortillas will be soft and soaked with liquid.  Sprinkle cheese and olives on top.

Note:  This meal is extremely agile.  I am a canner and change out the can of tomato soup for 1 quart home canned stewed tomatoes.  I blend them in the blender, juice and all before putting them in the skillet.  I don't add the 1 cup water to the skillet.  I also use home canned frozen corn.  It is not measured before it is bagged so sometimes their is a lot of corn and sometimes there is only a little  I also make my own salsa.  I have made this recipe with green salsa and red salsa.  With hot and mild salsa.  The kids like it mild. Sometimes we add ground beef, but with the black beans, it is already loaded with protein, so I don't worry about it very often.  This recipe always works and always tastes good.  It is hard to ruin.
Print Friendly and PDF

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow, I've never seen a recipe like this. I need to try it. Thanks for sharing.

Online Cooking Classes

Online Cooking Classes
Click here for more information