Home, Family, Cooking, and Education

Monday, February 10, 2014

Spotlight Author: Mrs. 101




Stephanie Ashcraft

(AKA Mrs. 101)



Creator and Author of Cooking with Mrs. 101 Blog

Author of the "101 Things to do with..."cookbooks, including
 the best selling 101 Things To Do With A Cake Mix.

Author of her latest "200" edition of her cookbook series and Cake Mix -Cooking for Kids- cookbook.

Has appeared in numerous television programs, radio shows, newspapers, and magazines nationwide.



Favorite Foods: 
Living in Tucson, I would say my favorite category of food has to be Mexican. My second favorite category of food is CHOCOLATE. Add peanut butter to the chocolate and you have one happy lady.

Favorite Restaurant:
I have favorite restaurants in various locations. In Tucson, my favorite is La Olla, a small Mexican restaurant that serves the BEST calabacitas. In Utah, I love Cafe Rio salads and Los Hermanos' Smoothered Burrito.

Inspiration to Cook:
Holidays and special events get me excited about cooking. My grandmothers inspired me to learn how to cook. Both of my grandmothers were phenomenal chefs who passed that love to me. My children and their busy schedules inspire me to continue searching for ways to save time and simplify the meal time preparation.

Feelings About New Foods:
I love trying new foods. As my children have gotten older, I love the fact that the older ones are excited to try new things as well.

At the Table:
Do you enjoy cooking for others (entertaining) or do you like to keep it in the family? I love baking for others. I love that holidays always give me an excuse to make treats. During the years that I worked on multiple cookbooks at the same time, I became everyone's favorite neighbor. I would sample and call neighbors to bring bowls or dishes over to collect food. When we moved away from BYU married student housing, we had some very sad neighbors.



Stephanie's 5 Most Popular Recipes 
(from her bestselling book 101 Things to do with a Cake Mix)

 Death by Chocolate Cake

 Pumpkin Delight

Yogurt Cake

Heath Bar Cake

 Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Bars


Our Favorite Recipe by Mrs. 101

Ingredients:
3/4 cup Sour Cream 
4 eggs
1/2 cup of water
1/2 cup of oil 
1 chocolate cake mix (It works with Gluten-Free also)
1 small box of instant chocolate pudding 
1 cup of chocolate chips 

Directions:
Pre-heat oven @ 350 degrees
Beat sour cream, eggs, water, and oil together in large bowl until thoroughly mixed. Add cake mix and pudding mix. Stir in chocolate chips.
For a bunt cake:
Place batter in a greased and floured bunt pan. Bake for 45-55 minutes, or until a fork inserted into cake comes out clean.

 Here at Saltbox House Cooking Exchange, we have been inspired by Stephanie since we had the pleasure of meeting her over 10 years ago. It was then that her best selling 101 Things to do with a Cake Mix cookbook was published and made it's mark on the New York's Times best seller list. As we have come to know Stephanie on her path to success, we have witnessed her passion for teaching people ways to save time and money in the kitchen. We have no doubt that her passion for teaching others creative and simple ways to make delicious meals will continue to grow, as well as her fans like us here at Saltbox House. 
Print Friendly and PDF

1 comment:

Unknown said...

yep, I love her! I've had her 101 Things to do with a Cookbook since 2004. It has always been handy to have when I want to whip up something sweet in a short time.

Online Cooking Classes

Online Cooking Classes
Click here for more information