Home, Family, Cooking, and Education

Thursday, April 16, 2009

"They Call it Dutch Style"


The great outdoors has always had a special place in my family. Growing up, my family and I would just pack up and go fishing and camping some weekends and sometimes for a week or so. Now, I'm not talking about the camper/trailer/cabin camping although we have many memories of renting a little cabin now an then. I am talking about sleeping under the stars or in a tent, carrying the water from the pump or river, the no shower no shame policy :), and of course, cooking your food over an open fire. Now days, we still enjoy camping every summer with our families, however, the closest we get here in the big city is having a bon fire on the beach (I'm not complaining either). The food seems to make the memories stick better, I think. Along with rainbow trout, peach cobbler brings back memories of our camping days as a family more than any other food. This particular recipe is the easiest dutch oven, outdoor cooking, great tasting peach cobbler you will ever try. It is so easy my 2 year old daughter made it and I cooked it. Don't believe me, you should try it for yourself. I've been making this peach cobbler in and out doors since I can remember and it just keeps getting better every time.

For today's cobbler, I am using Wolfgang Puck's Cast Iron Dutch Oven and baking it in my oven. This recipe can be cooked in a regular cake pan if you don't have a dutch oven pot. If you have a regular dutch oven, you can just place hot charcoals accordingly above and beneath your dutch oven, on a cement surface.


Step #1
Dump in the Peaches
1-2 small cans or 1 large can of sliced peaches including the juice
(light syrup is best)

Step # 2
Dump in the Cake Mix

A regular box of yellow cake mix
(try to dump over all of the peaches)


Step # 3
Dump the 7-Up

Pour 12-16 oz of 7-up or any other lemon/lime soda all over cake mix
(You do not have to stir, see the foaming bubbles, the carbonation does the stirring for you)
*Hint after about 10 minutes of baking, if some cake mix is still sitting on the surface, fork through the batter a little until there is no longer dry cake mix showing.

Bake, uncovered, in a pre-heated oven @ 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes or until done.
(Just like a regular cake, poke it with a fork or toothpick, see if it comes out clean)


I suggest to serve it with powdered sugar, cream, whipped cream, milk or vanilla ice cream. See how moist that cake is? So good.
Have you tried any regularly outdoor or dutch oven cooking in your home?
Print Friendly and PDF

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I might try this tonight too! It looks really good...so did it stick to your pot at all?

Unknown said...

Not at all.

Unknown said...

I tried it, it was pretty good...but it seemed like it took a lot longer to cook. When it was done, there was still some dry mix on the top but overall the flavor was really good.

Unknown said...

Thanks, I change the cooking time on the post. It is true, mine did take longer than when I made it in a normal cake pan.

Online Cooking Classes

Online Cooking Classes
Click here for more information